Hello there! I’ve been sort of M.I.A. from the blog lately – my CT vacation has been a little busier than I had anticipated! So far I’ve:
– Spent lots of time with the fam and these cute pups:
– Put down the dystopian-themed YA literature for five seconds and finally read the book my husband has been trying to convince me to read for years, Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn (his favorite author). And I actually liked it.
– Found a great CrossFit gym and been going four or five days a week
– Bought a new car! Hello VW Tiguan. I am not a car person at all, but I think this car is really cute. Hopefully I won’t get made fun of anymore for having a “mom car,” which happened a lot when I drove a Subaru Forester.
– Met my June goal of getting 30 minutes per day of outdoor physical activity
– Stuck to my low G.I. diet and exercise plan…mostly. I haven’t missed a workout and I’d say I’ve stuck to the nutrition part of the plan about 90% of the time. Of course, there have been a few days where I’ve strayed a little bit, because sometimes, you just want a cookie. I am down 2.3 pounds in two weeks though, which is right on track with my goal of 7 pounds in 7 weeks.
This has been a great trip home and I will be a little sad to leave on Friday. Those sad feelings won’t last long thought because I’m so excited to see my handsome husband!
Ok I think that’s enough rambling, maybe I’ll get to the actual topic of this post now – pancakes!
I woke up feeling a little under the weather this morning and wanted a breakfast that tasted like comfort food, but was still (relatively) healthy. My aunt had been telling us in church on Sunday about how she had made blueberry pancakes that morning, and ever since then I’d been craving them, so I whipped up a batch this morning.
I loosely followed a basic pancake recipe, just adding blueberries and substituting egg whites for eggs and whole wheat flour for white flour:
Healthier Blueberry Pancakes
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 egg white
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup skim milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup blueberries
Warning: do not attempt to cook when extremely sleep deprived. I was up most of the night last night and my exhausted, crazy self accidentally dumped way too much salt in the pancake batter. I wasn’t originally going to add sugar, but I kind of had to in order to balance of the salt. Cooking in a zombie state also caused me to burn about half the pancakes, but luckily I got a few good ones.
This recipe made six pancakes – three of which I had to toss because they were so burned. Whoops. I snacked on one pancake while I was cooking and then had another topped with almond butter and strawberries.
These pancakes weren’t as fluffy as I would have liked and probably would have tasted better without the added salt, but when you’re running on four hours of sleep you take what you can get.
I’m off to attempt to be productive even though I really just want to go back to bed 🙂 Have a good one!